A Single Match


Well, the first day of winter is December 21st, so our last fall book arrived in the office with 13 days to spare--talk about being ahead of the game. I know...arriving in the office really means nothing as it wont be in stores for a month or so, but it means something to me. Yes, this was a momentous day--I can finally wipe my hands clean celebrate the completion of A Single Match.


It may not officially be winter yet, but that snow INSIDE the office window tells another tale. Poor Shannon, poor interns--you see, the snow window happens to be right by the intern desk. That snow's been there for two days now and it's showing no sign of melting.


I guess that's why it's necessary for Shannon to wear both a festive sweater and a scarf (I think we're breaking some labour laws...). Not pictured here but noted later was the addition of mittens to the ensemble. And she still managed to crack a smile for this pic. Now that's what I call an awesome intern.

But this post has gotten way off topic. Fear of Montreal winters set aside, I really can't express how thrilled I am to hold this book in my hands. I've been working on it since August and I still see new details in the images that amaze me, the stories still take me elsewhere, and, at times, still make me laugh. Oji Suzuki has a way of pulling the reader into another world--a world occupied by floating heads, bus driving birds, and figures lingering in the stars. Suzuki's art is the perfect balance of stark lines, vigorous hatching, and breathtaking silhouettes. I know what you're thinking: "Can silhouettes actually be breathtaking?" Well, they can. Crack open a copy of A Single Match and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.


And did I mention the cover's glossy? This picture was taken without flash and you can still see it shining. If A Single Match isn't on your after-Christmas list, I'd recommend slotting it in. (Does my thumb look fat in this picture?)

0 komentar:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More